Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Dark Funky Saison

Things got a little weird on Sunday.  I brewed up a dark funky saison type beer.  Why?  I'm not entirely sure.  I'm a little inspired by Hill Farmstead's Edith when I had it recently, but I think this is mostly for curiosity's sake.  This also isn't technically a saison, I'm not using a saison yeast, but I don't know what else to call it.  Dark Brett Ale?  Farmhouse Dark Ale?  Who knows, let's just hope I in a few months I get to call it "Delicious".

I have a 3 gallon better bottle which I have dedicated to shorter term sour/funky beers.  I have my solera, which is for long term sours, but I wanted to pump out stuff a little quicker to satisfy my sour thirst.  The last beer I did turned out beautifully, so I went with another (hopefully) brett bomb.  I am planning on fermenting this solely with BSI Brett Drie and Hill Farmstead dregs from Nordic Saison that I have been growing up for the past few weeks.




Dark Funky Saison

3 gallons
75% Efficiency
60 minute boil


4 lb Belgian Pils (71%)
1.5 lb White Wheat (27%)
0.12 lb Chocolate (2%)

0.5 oz Tettnang (60 min)
0.5 oz Tettnang (15 min)


BSI Brett Drie and Hill Farmstead Dregs at 66F ambient.  Mashed at 148F.

OG 1.051 | FG 1.011 | ABV 5.4% | IBU 24

Ca 130 | Mg 2 | Na 66 | Cl 116 | SO4 134 | HCO3 213


3/8/15: Brewday.  OG 1.050.  Mash pH 5.4.  It's a little chocolately, so I'm not sure how this will turn out.

3/10/15: Had to switch to a blowoff tube, this thing is fermenting like crazy.

3/16/15: Gravity to 1.011.  Taste is very nice, color is a very unappetizing light brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment