Friday, August 2, 2013

Hard Root Beer

I was wasting time on HBT today and stumbled across a recipe discussion for hard root beer.  After reading the thread, I have to admit, I'm intrigued.  Abita root beer is possibly my favorite soda and sometimes I order it before a beer (ok, not really, but I order it any time I see it on the menu).  With that being said, what could better then craft root beer?  Root beer with alcohol of course.  Next time I go to the homebrew store I think I'm going to pick up the ingredients for this.  It's cheap, easy and if it's good, might be a go-to recipe I brew (especially for those not into my regular beers).

1 Gallon recipe
OG: 1.045
FG: 1.015

1 lb DME
4 oz Lactose
4 oz Brown sugar
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Nottingham yeast

Combine ingredients above with 4 c water, bring to a boil, top off, cool,  pitch yeast.  Ferment ~70F for 7 days using a blow-off tube.

Bottling day:
1 c sugar boiled in 1 c water
5.5 oz honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp root beer extract

Add above to bottling bucket, bottle.  Once carbonated (check beginning at 4 days or using a plastic bottle) put in fridge or pasteurize.


8/18/13: Brewday.  12 hours later there is a full krausen and vigorous fermentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment