Thursday, August 1, 2013

Sour Brown Ale Update 1

The ingredients are bought for my Sour Brown that I'm going to be making without the help of a commercial yeast product.  

Yesterday I made up a lacto starter to begin the souring and build up some lacto.  I boiled 1.5 L water with 75 g DME to make a starter of around 1.020.  Once that cooled to ~110F, I pitched a handful of milled grain in and put an airlock on the 1 gallon growler.  I'm going to try to keep this as close to 110F as possible but that will be hard because I have no heating source (stupid me, should have gotten a heating pad).  I got to thinking and I have decided to keep the growler in my car in the Florida sun during the day.  This way, I think I can expect temperatures to get to 110F at some point, helping the lacto grow and sour quicker.

I also picked up Monks Cafe Flemish Sour Ale and Petrus Oud Bruin to drink in the next few days and I will dump the dregs into the starter to get them active also.  When I brew on Sunday I'm going to pitch the whole mix into the wort and throw it in my closet, not to be touched for 6 months (hopefully!).

No comments:

Post a Comment