Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Peanut Butter Brown Ale

I'm back brewing a lot and next up is a peanut butter brown ale.  Inspired by Funky Buddha's No Crusts and then even more after I got a taste of a peanut butter brown homebrew at Hunahpu Day.  There's a lot of conflicting information about how to best get the peanut butter flavor and aroma but I think for my first time I'm going to try the following.

2.5 gal batch

5 lb Maris Otter
0.5 lb Crystal 60L
0.5 lb flaked oats
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb Victory

0.5 oz EKG (60 min)
0.5 oz EKG (15 min)

Ferment with WLP002 (English Ale)

There are two peanut additions.

The first will be a pound of unsalted, roasted peanuts in the mash.  Before adding they will be re-roasted at 350F for 20 minutes.  The next addition will be dried peanut butter (PB2) which the beer will be racked onto in the fermenter.  I think this is better than real peanut butter or peanut butter extract.  I should brew this tomorrow and hopefully have it in bottles asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment