Tuesday, June 25, 2013

RIS Brewday

First off, I have been stepping up my yeast for the past fee days. I started with a 1L starter, let that go for a day, then cold crashed it overnight. Yesterday i made a 1.5L wort, decanted the non yeast and put it in my 1/2 gallon (1.89L) growler and left it overnight. Well I woke up this morning with the house smelling like yeast and a huge krausen than had spilled over the aluminum foil lid all over the growler. I definitely lost some yeast but you live and you learn. I'm confident I'll have enough for this brew. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I just mashed in on my imperial stout in this glorious brew day. 4.5 gallons and 12 lbs of grain just fit in my tun and I hit my target temperature of 154F just about right. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos It was a nice chocolate black when I put the lid on, a big difference from what I've recently been brewing. Also, as I was heating up my water a random guy on his bike drove by, saw my tun, grain and water and stopped. Turns out he is a home brewer in the area, so we talked a little bit about our setups and such. He's a partial mash brewer and has a tiny setup but it was cool knowing there are people around who can recognize some brewing when it's happening. So it's been a little while since I've used extract. When I added the 6 lbs of DME with about 15 minutes I was stirring and waiting for a hot break but I guess I didn't stir enough or it got too hot because before I knew it, there was a boil over. Thank god I was outside and it was easy to clean up because it was a sticky mess. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos When all was said and done I had 5.5 gallons of 1.108 wort! I overshot my gravity by quite a bit so all I can hope now is that my yeast can chew through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment